Titan TTB579PLN 204mm Planer Thicknesser 230V
Worth every penny
A BRILLIANT bit of kit - and I feel safe using it!
26 Aug 2015
A bit more thought required
For the price this is a good machine and for light DIY/hobby work it is good.
1. It is noisy
2. The need to move the dust extractor when changing from Thicknesser to Planer is inefficient and frustrating, especially as it is very fiddly.
3. When fitting the dust extractor to the top to use the thicknesser, one screw is a allen key head and the other a hand tightening knob. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they can't both be hand tightening knobs. That would be much more efficient.
4. When fitting the dust extractor to the bottom to use the planer, you have to use a washer and a nut on a bolt facing down, so effectively you have to put your hand right inside the machine and fit the washer and nut upside down. It is very fiddly and awkward, it also necessitates using a spanner, so again I find myself thinking there must be a better way...
5. Finally it is essential that you use a dust extractor with this machine. It uses a 100mm pipe, which is fine, if you have one of these! The Screwfix catalog does not make this clear, so given the nature of the Screwfix buying model, (order from catalog, pay, then you receive your goods) it really should say in the catalog. It is on the box, and of course if you care to inspect the box before you leave or take delivery you may be okay, but if not then you find you have to acquire an appropriate dust extractor, or adapt the one you have to suit.
6. The depth/height adjuster for the thicknesser moves whilst the plank is going through the machine. If you don't hold it at the setting you've set, you will land up with inconsistent thickness of planks, which for a thicknesser is pretty rubbish really.
However despite these design quirks and minor issues, I am happy with it and have learn't now to get pretty good results with this machine.
If I could afford a more expensive machine I'd upgrade, but as I can't and if you can't then I'd definitely recommend this one.
8 Aug 2015
Good value product
Only received yesterday but seems good so far. Screwfix next day delivery service is excellent- received before 9am. The only thing we did notice is that the manual seemed a little out of date when assembling- mounting the blade cover the manual suggests it is hinged using a circlip, when in fact it's threaded and is a nut and washer, took a few minutes to work it out! But generally assembly was easy.
26 Jul 2015
Maybe I got a duff one!
It was so cheap I could not resist!
The finish was good and the thicknesser produced parallel faces for the short while that it worked, but unfortunately it only worked for 3 days and about 10 pieces of wood.
Then, while using in planer mode, the drive rollers for the thicknesser (or the drive mechanism) jammed and the drive belt burnt through.
The fence was naff too. Its cheap but the build quality and reliability are awful. I took it back (screwfix were great) and I will probably buy a better brand.
17 Jun 2015