Rated 5 out of 5Â by EvanlyOfferings Does what is says on the T..
First time using this product. Great coverage on veneer doors. Easy to use with roller or brush.
27 Jan 2016
Rated 5 out of 5Â by Tfresh Great stuff, no more stains!
After buying a house that previously had a very heavy smoker I was struggling to get rid of the yellow stains on the ceiling in the room that was smoked in the most. 5 cleans with sugar soap and undercoat still struggled to stop the yellow coming through... However after reading the reviews I tried this stuff, its brilliant! two coats and the ceiling is looking good as new! Yes it smells when you put it on (but smell goes quick as it dies fast), yes its a bit more money than others but it does the job very very well!
I have now used it in the other rooms with smoker stains and after a few sugar soaps and two coats of this stuff you would never know it was once horrible stained yellow!
Im on my 3rd tin as it works so well and saves time in the long run.
9 Dec 2015
Rated 5 out of 5Â by TheTallDecorator Superb primer
I've been using Zinsser Coverstain as a professional decorator for many years now.
The good points:
1. Superb adhesion to bare timber or painted surfaces, even gloss (although always key first, it's good practice).
2. Superb opacity - it really does cover very well.
3. One of the quickest drying oil-based primers you can get.
4. It does block most stains very well.
5. It has excellent grain filling properties - so it will help you to get a smoother finish with your top coats.
6. You can use it as a replacement for regular oil-based undercoat. It's a bit more expensive, but its high grip and much quicker drying are worth the extra cost in my book.
7. It can be tinted. I hand tint on site with professional tints.
8. Once dry it sands very well.
The bad points:
1. Like most oil-based paints, it does have an odour. So if you're coating all the woodwork in a room indoors with the door and window closed, it can get a bit much. Always ensure good ventilation when painting of course. But it's no worse than most other oil-based paints, and as it dries quicker the smell dissipates faster.
2. It's more expensive than regular oil-based primers or undercoats. But you get what you pay for, a very quick drying superb oil-based stain blocker, primer and undercoat in one.
I ALWAYS have a tin in the van, and Screwfix usually have one of the best prices for Coverstain. Recommended.
16 Nov 2015
Rated 5 out of 5Â by McM1 Primer
Used over previously stained wood. No stain bleeding and easy to apply. Great product
7 Nov 2015