Rated 5 out of 5Â by TheTallDecorator Superb primer
I've been using Zinsser Coverstain as a professional decorator for many years now.
The good points:
1. Superb adhesion to bare timber or painted surfaces, even gloss (although always key first, it's good practice).
2. Superb opacity - it really does cover very well.
3. One of the quickest drying oil-based primers you can get.
4. It does block most stains very well.
5. It has excellent grain filling properties - so it will help you to get a smoother finish with your top coats.
6. You can use it as a replacement for regular oil-based undercoat. It's a bit more expensive, but its high grip and much quicker drying are worth the extra cost in my book.
7. It can be tinted. I hand tint on site with professional tints.
8. Once dry it sands very well.
The bad points:
1. Like most oil-based paints, it does have an odour. So if you're coating all the woodwork in a room indoors with the door and window closed, it can get a bit much. Always ensure good ventilation when painting of course. But it's no worse than most other oil-based paints, and as it dries quicker the smell dissipates faster.
2. It's more expensive than regular oil-based primers or undercoats. But you get what you pay for, a very quick drying superb oil-based stain blocker, primer and undercoat in one.
I ALWAYS have a tin in the van, and Screwfix usually have one of the best prices for Coverstain. Recommended.
16 Nov 2015
Rated 5 out of 5Â by McM1 Primer
Used over previously stained wood. No stain bleeding and easy to apply. Great product
7 Nov 2015
Rated 4 out of 5Â by mooie great product
i use this product as a stain repellent, i recently used it as a top coat on several interior doors the premises were occupied & it dries so quickly i didnt have to worry about the tenants getting covered in paint.
10 Oct 2015
Rated 5 out of 5Â by cf10 good primer
read other reviews so decided on this and was easy to apply and dried in good time. Not straight away if you are inpatient. Hopefully in time assist in keeping my windows in good order longer.
28 Sep 2015