drilling 80mm hole in york stone slab

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by VdubT25, Jun 15, 2008.

1. VdubT25

VdubT25 New Member

I need to drill a 80mm diameter neat hole in 50mm thick york stone paving slab.

Any ideas as to appropriate core drill for the job?

2. e30mark

e30mark Member

Hello fello vdubber...

What's the tolerance on the 80mm hole? The best bit the job will be a diamond core drill, on this site they do a 78mm diamond core drill

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/55018/

You will also need a SDS drill (750 / 800Watts) arbour & pilot drill to go with it.

What tools / drill do you have? You could use a TCT core drill if you can find one of of correct size, it might be cheaper, but the diamond bit listed above will be easier to use.

3. VdubT25

VdubT25 New Member

hi there e30mark

Thanks for the fast response, yep 78mm will be ok as will have a small grille to cover hole, just did not know if york stone will splinter and need to be water fed during cutting?

Am only needing to drill 2 holes in stone for fire place hearth. I have 2 air ducts (downpipe) concreated into slab to provide air supply under woodburner.

I have a sds drill so would be ok.
    Thanks for the advice
    p.s. great van poor mpg!

4. e30mark

e30mark Member

Have you a spare piece of stone to try it on first? I would probably water cool it, case of try it and see really.

Good luck!

(T4 man! going to the dark side soon with a T5...)